Amendment of Self-Assessed Return [Section 103(1A)]
After submitting my tax return to the Inland Revenue Board Malaysia (IRBM), am I able to make any amendments to it?
– The taxpayer is allowed to make self amendment on information or assessment in the Income Tax Return Form (ITRF) submitted to IRBM on time by submitting an Amended Return Form (ARF) within 6 months from the due date for submission of ITRF.
Under what circumstances, the taxpayer is allowed to make the amendment on the tax return?
IRB allows taxpayers to make self-amendments for additional assessment under the following conditions:-
- The taxpayers who have summited the ITRD on time.
- Self-amendment be allowed only once for each Year of Assessment.
- Taxpayer makes self-amendments in specific forms.
- Self-amendment be allowed on information or assessment to correct the mistakes in the ITRF relating to
– Income under declared / not declared
– Expenses / Other claims over claimed
– Capital allowances / Incentives / Reliefs over claimed
- Will I be subject to a penalty if I submit an amended tax return within the deadline for submission?
– In accordance with Section 103(1A), any tax payable/additional tax payable arising from the amended tax return shall be due and payable on the date of the amended return. No penalty will be imposed if the amended return was filed within the submission period.
- What is the penalty rate for submitting an amended tax return after the submission deadline?
– Effective 1 January 2020, the penalty rate is 10% of the amount payable for any submission of an amended return made after the submission deadline.
- If the Director General issues an amended assessment within 6 months of ITRF submission, can a taxpayer still submit an Amended Return Form (ARF)?
– If the Director General issues an amended assessment within 6 months from the submission of the Income Tax Return Form (ITRF), i.e. before taxpayer submits an Amended Return Form (ARF), the taxpayer is not eligible to submit an Amended Return Form (ARF) to the Director General. However, the taxpayer can still make an amendment or voluntary disclosure to the assessment raised by the Director General by sending a letter to the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia (IRBM).
ANC Group – Your Personal Tax Advisor
Tax consulting is the core service of ANC Group. Our tax professionals provide clients with comprehensive tax support and guidance. We offer tax consulting and compliance services for expatriates, entrepreneurs, and listed and non-listed companies.
Our tax consulting services include business tax, transaction tax, personal tax, and corporate income tax. We don’t just guide you in interpreting and applying complicated taxation rules, but to explore new opportunities and business trends.
We keep you abreast with Malaysia tax updates and any changes in the local regulations.
We work closely with industry specialists, authorities, and associated professionals within ANC Group to provide the best-in-class integrated tax planning solutions. ANC specialists coordinate the accounting and taxation services to bring your business to success.